People often ask us how we are able to do what we do and also why they should hire a professional over a DIY kitchen cabinet painting job. Resurfacing and painting kitchen cabinets is a practical way to give your kitchen a fresh look without the expense of buying new cabinets. The process involves several steps, and while it can be a DIY project for some, it’s often best left to professionals like Chameleon Painting to ensure the highest quality finish.
- Assessment: The first step involves a thorough inspection of the cabinets to identify any damage or wear. Any loose hinges or handles should be tightened or replaced.
- Preparation: Remove the cabinet doors and hardware. This usually involves unscrewing the hinges and handles. All surfaces to be painted must be meticulously cleaned to remove grease and other buildup.
- Repair: Any noticeable damage, like scratches or dents, should be filled with wood filler and then sanded smooth once dry.
- Sanding: Sanding the cabinets is a critical step. It removes the glossy finish on most cabinets and provides a rough surface for the primer and paint to adhere to. After sanding, the dust should be removed with a damp cloth or a tack cloth.
- Priming: A good quality primer should be applied to all surfaces that will be painted. Primer ensures that the paint will stick better and last longer, and it also helps to prevent stains from bleeding through the paint.
- Painting: Once the primer is dry, it’s time to apply the paint. A semi-gloss or gloss paint is typically used for kitchen cabinets because it is more durable and easier to clean. It’s often necessary to apply two or more coats of paint to achieve a smooth, even finish.
- Reassembly: Once the paint is fully dry, the hardware and doors can be reattached. This is also a great time to consider adding new knobs or handles to complete the transformation.
Each step in the process must be done with care to achieve a high-quality finish. The end result can greatly improve the look of your kitchen, often making it feel like a brand new space. If you don’t feel comfortable doing this yourself, hiring professional kitchen cabinet painting service like Chameleon Painting in Salt lake City the job is done right.